Wednesday, April 29, 2015

3 Tips for Big, Frizz Free Curls even with Low Density Hair



I'm guessing the first thing you are going to as is..., "What's low density hair?" 

Well, check out this right here for a more in depth look at what hair density is and why its important to know what your type is to help you with your hair routines. 

Well, I not only have thin hair, I have low density hair too. So despite the volume the curls give me, if you hold it all together you could probably fit it all in a straw. Okay, not really a straw, but you get my point. Don't believe me? Look at SunkissAlba's wet hair after she twirled her hair vs mine...

Skip to 5:07 for that part


and here's mine... yes yes, I just jumped out the shower, I have no make up on..


I just don't have that much hair, as in individual strands of hair... so naturally, as much as I wanted big hair... I couldn't do the same things as the many curly hair videos I love watching. 

So the trick for us low density girls (and guys) is...

1. Get the right hair cut! 

This goes for all curlies out there, but curly hair especially needs the right shape to look gorgeous, unless you have super short or long hair...
The Christmas tree look (which is what you get if you don't have layers) is not working my love bugs. 

I still need to get my deva cut, but in the mean time I'm getting some shape by flipping my hair from one side to the others, which makes faux layers. 



2. Don't weigh your hair down!

Especially after I cut my hair, I realized I needed to adjust the amount of product I put in my hair (since I have less hair, obviously) but also just cause I have curly hair and need extra moisture doesn't mean that I need to slather it down with oil. Because of my hair texture, porosity, and density, I find that oil just makes it look like Professor Snape (Greasy) or greasy jerry curls... and it just weighs it down if I over do it... My hair does better with light creams or mousse (but beware of alcohol in it). 

Figure out your blend of concoctions for your curls, and remember sometimes less means more. 



3. Use a hair dryer (low heat) with a diffuser!

Although you need all three things for it to work, this is what puts the icing on the cake. I am all about no heat, but honestly even with low heat the diffuser makes it feel like it's on cool, even if I put it on high. This gives the soft curls and adds volume even with low density hair. 
I twirl my hair with Shea Moisture's Curl Enhancing Smoothie, and i use smaller sections. It works much better in smaller sections since it dries faster, and it really fluffs up each section well. I then smooth it and separate the curls with serum or oil. 




There you have it guys! I hope this helps you guys out and gives life to your curls! 









“Relaxing your hair is like being in prison. You're caged in. Your hair rules you. You didn't go running with Curt today because you don't want to sweat out this straightness. You're always battling to make your hair do what it wasn't meant to do.” 
― Chimamanda Ngozi AdichieAmericanah

No comments:

Post a Comment