Saturday, January 3, 2015

Winter Skin Care Tips

Winter Skin Care





Skin care is already tricky on its own. What works for one person doesn't mean it will for the next person. Throw in skin types, allergies, and seasons and you end up with a shelf full of products that never get used, or an irritated face that needs some TLC. Knowing some general guidelines can help you pick products to help you with your winter skin care routine so save you some money and heartache. (We've all been there... no one likes throwing out bottles of virtually unused products)



Hydrate
Without saying anything else, the first thing we should know is that what we put in out bodies is more important than any "revolutionary" product we can just slather on. Of course, this is more of a "do as I say, not as I do" tip because I eat like a child with unrestricted options, meaning that I'd eat cookies and fries for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and that's not an exaggeration.

The one easy thing that we all can do (and not just for your skin, there are tons of benefits) is drink more water. Just be a little more mindful when you drink something with your food. Water instead of that Pepsi. Drink water instead when you feel like snacking.



Water


Exfoliate 
Winter generally leaves you with dry skin. While using a moisturizer to combat dry skin is important, so is exfoliating the dead skin cells that are causing you to have flaky, dull skin. My favorite way to exfoliate daily is the Clarisonic. I use it once a day and find that with the sensitive head, it's not too harsh even for winter use. As always, I do opt for giving myself a facial once or twice a week, but in the winter I tend to focus more on using the Korean masks as seen in my old post to add nutrients to my skin and use less abrasive products such as scrubs and oil absorbing masks.


Change Skincare Products 
No, you don't have to change everything you use, but you will need to switch from using more light weight products that were perfect in the summer to thicker creams in the winter. Look for things that are hydrating and oil based or humectants instead of water based gels to help seal in the moisture during the harsh, cold months. Don't be afraid, I know I said oil based, but just look for oils that don't clog pores. I have combination skin, so I do get that extra shine. However, I haven't had any trouble using oil based moisturizers in the winter.

 Products that typically tend to dry my skin out are used in the summer, like my Neutrogena Oil-free Acne wash, when my skin can handle it a bit better. I stick to the Purity cleanser especially during the winter because it's very gentle and hydrating. Invest in some good serums, Vitamic C is a favorite of mine I use all year about, but I also like to add in SKII's Facial Treatment Essence into the routine, since I tend to skip out on using harsh toners.


Side note: If you were't already using an oil based moisturizer, you may need to change your primers as well. Remember, use like products to prevent your makeup from sliding off your face half way through the day. Oil with oil.

I love Embryolisse's moisturizers. Not only is it a moisturizer, but it's a make up primer as well. Oh, and when you want to take off your make up, guess what is also a makeup remover? Yes, it's a three-in-one, makeup up artist favorite that you just have to try at least once. For oily skin types, they also have the Hydra-Mat Emulsion to keep the shine at bay.




I hope this helped some of you to adjust your routines for the winter, and hopefully save some money as well.
Stay warm~






No comments:

Post a Comment